Monday, July 8, 2013

Hope

A dear friend got bad news about her health recently. It came from the clear blue sky, and it is scary and serious. I've been trying to help in any way I can, but since I can't actually cure her disease, I'm left feeling at a real loss to contribute much more than friendship, companionship and conversation. She starts treatments next week, and has been told she will lose her hair, so on Wednesday, I sat down in the morning and knit her a hat, start to finish. Its a design of my own creation, which makes me exceedingly proud.

It starts with a cabled band


Then stitches are picked up along the top edge to make the crown, and the bottom edge for a ribbed band. Its cozy, and it's soft. I knit it from Knit Picks Organic Cotton, since it will be directly in contact with her skin. I do think it would be great in wool, just not for this recipient.

Wednesday I had some much needed time to myself, as my boys were busy with Grandma for most of the day, and I really enjoyed the process, start to finish, of designing and knitting this for my friend. I also worked on documenting the pattern, and was really happy with the result. I am still fiddling with it a bit, but my goal is to publish the pattern, which has been a goal of mine for a long time.


My hope, more than anything, is that the love comes through in the knitting, and gives my friend some comfort in the difficult days to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment